2014 Snapshots

Tuesday, January 20

Thai Tuesday

I consider myself to be a lucky girl living overseas and having that opportunity to experience different cultures and customs and to be able meet many wonderful and interesting people.

Actually, blessed would have to be the correct word to use.

It’s not always easy though having to pick up and move after you work hard to settle down, but when I sit back and think about it, it really ain’t that bad.

Thailand is my 3rd stop in this crazy, yet wonderful “home is where the work takes you” experience. 

My first stop was the easiest one only because well, I went to school in Australia so that was cool.  Moving to the US was a little bit more scary for me, but at the same time exciting. To live and work in the United States of America – WOW.  Things didn’t start off so well, but they definitely got better.  I was actually sad to leave.  This is our 3rd stop and it has been great – just  totally cool.

Anyway I’ve lived here in Thailand for over a year and a bit and I can honestly say this -it really is a unique cultural experience.  There is a whole lot to observe and practice out of respect to their customs as we try to make our home here. 

When you visit as a tourist (‘farang as they say here in Thai) you are excused from many of their cultural practices and customs.  But when you’ve been here for over 12 months, and possibly longer – well you can’t be an ignorant farang, you have to try to fit in!

Hence the beginning of “Thai Tuesdays”. 

On Tuesday’s I will endeavor to bring you snippets of the Thai culture or Thailand in general for enlightenment.

So to start, I will share of Thailand’s graceful welcome – the “Wai”.  This is Thailand’s traditional form of greeting.  Westerners shake hands, Russians kiss and hug, the Maori’s of New Zealand charge at their guests with spears pulling faces – well,  the Thai’s wai.  

The Wai is a lovely prayer like gesture accompanied with a little head nodding.  It is performed by joining the hands at the palms and raising them to a position somewhere between the chest and forehead. I learnt that social status is indicated by the height of your wai and the depth of your bow.  

FYI – social status is a big thing here.

If you are ever wai-ed to and are not too sure how to respond back,  just do exactly what the person wai-ing to you did.  You can’t go wrong !!

(in the picture – Tanysha and Renee doing the wai pose)

 Sawadee!!

…..Kari

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...