2014 Snapshots

Tuesday, December 30

So much more of Thailand in 10 Days….

I have now lived in Thailand for about 16months.  But I can honestly say that I have learnt more about Thailand in the past 10 days than the past 16months. I guess I’ve been so busy trying hard to settle in and learn everything that I haven’t made time to see this place that I am now living in.

Maybe it’s because both my Mum and Dad and brother are here visiting that it has forced me to go out (with 3 children in tow) to explore this country – and I am so glad because this is such a beautiful country with so much history. 

We made a trip up to the North of Thailand, which was a 10 hour drive but so worth it.  We went to the first capital of Thailand, Sukothai which was about 5 hours into our road trip.  We visited the Historical ruins and what was once the Kings Temple.  We also saw so many Buddha images – many ruined and some also stolen.

We then moved onto Chiang Mai – this was such a beautiful place.  We saw more temples (Wat’s as they call them here in Thailand) and more Buddha images. But in Chiang Mai we also got to see an extensive range of handicrafts, an orchid farm and a butterfly farm.  But I would have to say that the most exciting part of our trip for us all was the elephant trekking.  This was fun and a little scary every now and then but we enjoyed it.  It is truly a once in a life time experience. 

There is so much history to this country and as I saw so much Buddhism. I know this country has a large majority of it’s people practice Buddhism, but to go and see so many images of Buddha and the respect that is shown to the Buddha’s kind of hit it home.

I’m sorry this is such a long post but I have to get it down before the turn of the calendar year.

So many photo’s to share but I’m only going to post a couple.  If you want to check out my other photo’s face book me.

DSC03897 

family in front of Buddha image 

DSCF3100

me & JJ with mum and dad in front of Buddha’s palm.

DSCF3433

JJ , my brother and I enjoying the elephant ride (and so is our guide/elephant trainer).

DSCF3149

Ancient ruin – 49 carved out elephants used to hold up the temple

DSCF3096

large sitting Buddha – apparently the legs crossed from knee to knee is 11meters

…..Kari

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...