2014 Snapshots

Wednesday, October 28

Corner View: Nam Thip (Water in Thailand).

This weeks theme is inspired by Trinsch and is Water. Thanks also  to Dana for stepping in for Jane and hosting Corner View.

It’s  October and it’s still raining  here so we are seeing a lot of water in the form of rain – heavy downpours late in the afternoon after hot, sticky, yucky days.

DSCF4622

And then there is the Songkran Festival which is the Thai’s traditional New Year. This happens around April and it’s also known as the Water Festival. The Thai people believe that water will wash away bad luck.  If you want to learn more about it click here. It is around this time of the year that there is a lot of splashing of water here and there.  And it is a whole lot of fun.

DSCF4717I took this photo this past April during Songkran.  People line the streets with hoses and buckets ready to wet people walking by or driving by. 

But for today I’ve chosen to share that water has to be the drink of choice when having a plate or bowl of spicy food which I have come to believe is one of Thailand’s signature’s – intensely spicy dishes.  And the spice of choice is usually the chilies that create the spicy kick.

So if you are ever in this part of the world and visiting a restaurant you can request your dishes to be “mai phet” – not spicy or “phet” which is spicy. 

And don’t forget that bottle of water it does help to cool off the heat!!

namthip

DSC04615spicy beef noodle soup 

DSCF7207

red chilies for my Tom Yum Goong.

Make sure to visit other Corner View bloggers for their interpretation of this weeks theme – Water.

14 comments:

Joyce said...

I like the one photo that a little rain didn't bother everyone to enjoy a good festival. xoxo

Thom said...

A little rain sure didn't hurt. Great photos. Thanks for sharing :)

Francesca said...

Some of the (spicy) hottest food I ever had was westernized version of Thai food: I can just imagine how the real thing must be! Thai food is our current favorite, and my eldest loves spicy dishes: undiluted spiciness, no water!

Francesca said...

Some of the (spicy) hottest food I ever had was westernized version of Thai food: I can just imagine how the real thing must be! Thai food is our current favorite, and my eldest loves spicy dishes: undiluted spiciness, no water!

Lollipop said...

even the rain is beautiful at your place! I can't believe it ;-)

april said...

i'm in love with rain. so i guess i would like your weather there at the moment. your soup makes me hungry, although i'm a vegetarian ;-) have a wonderful week*

Jewel said...

I do love Thai food and "MAI PHET MAI PHET" is a very wonderful phrase!

[When I was in elementary, KETCHUP was too spicy for my tongue!!]

Amber said...

I live in rainy Vancouver and I thought I knew downpours, but yours looks like nothing I've ever seen.

And the Songkran Festival looks like way too much fun!

likeschocolate said...

The beef noodles look yummy though I have a low tolerance for spicy.

Cate said...

that water festival looks like so much fun! such a cool ritual.

and, you KNOW that i'm dying to taste your soup... would you consider sharing your secret recipe?

MODsquad said...

Oh, I could eat my screen! I would love to experience the food there firsthand!

Jenna's Scribbles said...

wonderful pictures!

Demara said...

There food IS super spicy! Ty for your very interesting corner. I want to visit :) I love drinking water! P.s. Ty for your beautiful comment.

Cherry B said...

Do you have a recipe for that soup?! It looks great :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...