2014 Snapshots

Wednesday, May 6

Corner View # 4 – Shopping.

Shopping is the Thai nations favorite pastime, second only to eating.  And lucky for me I love doing both – Eating and Shopping.

But let me say this, shopping here can be overwhelming because there are so many options,  from  luxury malls and exciting night markets to the famed Chatuchak weekend market. (Did you know Anderson Cooper has been to that  market – sorry just thought I’d throw that in there because I think AC is just the coolest)

Anyway, for this week I wasn’t too sure what to share.  But after some thought I figured I would like to share something that is very Thai.  But before I do let me just say that the grocery stores here are not too different from everywhere else, except for the signage.  I can’t read Thai and because of it I think I miss out on a lot of great deals.  And secondly I reckon that once you’ve been in one mall you’ve been in them all.  Of course there are a differences here and there but really ……

So here it is - I give you shopping the farang (tourist) way, because I consider myself a tourist, a local one anyway.  This way is  totally chaotic, colorful and noisy.   It’s a  Floating Market.  The one we went to is called Damnoen Saduak, and is probably the most famous one here in Bangkok.  It is shopping from a boat.  There are small khlongs or canals filled with flat boats.  The boats are piled high with fresh produce and others with  Thai souvenirs. Make sure to bargain because the vendors are more than happy too work something out.  Another piece of advise – keep your fingers in your boat!!

I had such a good time that I plan on going again!

I hope you enjoy my pictures.

DSCF3699

DSCF3741 DSCF3756 DSCF3724

Thanks again Jane for this wonderful idea.  Jane can be found at Spain Daily and has such a wonderful blog.

Here are the links to the other participants of this wonderful idea.  (Thanks Ian and Joyce.  You were right it’s so easy to add the links!!)

jane, ladybug-zen, ian, bonnie,esti, sophie, cele, modsquad, caitlin, joyce, ani, couturecoucou, kim, a day that is dessert, natsumi, epe, kaylovesvintage, trinsch, c.t.,jeannette, outi, schanett, ritva, dongdong, francesca, state of bliss, jennifer, dana, denise, cabrizette, bohemia girl, ruth, dianna, isabelle, amber, a girl in the yellow shoes, mister e, janis, kari, jgy, jenna, skymring, elizabeth, audrey, allison, lise, cate, mon, victoria, crescent moon, erin, otli, amy, ida, caroline, lisa, dorte, kimmie, la lune dans le ciel, nicola, malo, vanessa, britta, virgina, april

So grab your mouse and click away for some shopping around the world.   No credit cards required!!

13 comments:

C.T. said...

Ohw..I really did enjoy your pictures. Fantastic, I would love to visit that market - one day -. And....I LOOOOOOVE Anderson Cooper, so cool indeed. So I'm totally with you on that!

Ian said...

I remember buying and eating durians in those floating markets. Such great value too. Did you know that in London one Thai durian costs $20!

Bonnie said...

this looks like such a fun thing to do ! i will have to remember it if we ever travel to thailand !!

malo said...

I have never heard of these floating markets. Exciting and exotic to me.

Jeannette said...

Looks like a complete chaos and complete fun thing to do. I´m so a tourist when it comes to things like these. ;)

MODsquad said...

Oh, this is seriously the coolest way to shop... ever!! Love these photos!! This is a much in this lifetime!! Thanks for sharing!!

...Lisa

caitlin said...

I love how different your shopping is. Those pictures are great. Thanks for such a different corner to stop by.

The Girl in the Yellow Shoes said...

Love the photos!

kim said...

hey - we have something in common! we can both shop by boat! love the post kari!

Ida Nielsen said...

I've heard about this market from a friend who traveled in Thailand. She loved it -and I love your pictures. Hope to be able to come and see it for myself one day :-)

trinsch said...

i was there once! it's amazing - thanks for the trip and the good memories it brought back :) oh, btw, the photo of your tanysha on the side bar is awesome!

epe said...

wow! it`'s fantastic!

n a t s u m i said...

Oh, I love these photos! very interesting..
I would love to visit there and go shopping!
Thank you for sharing!

Have a great weekend! ox

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...