2014 Snapshots

Tuesday, October 28

When a "just because" doesn't cut it anymore!

With Halloween a couple of days out my 8yr old (soon to be 9) has asked me on a couple of occasions why I haven't decorated our home yet.  And I'm not going too.

I used to be able to answer her with a "just because" but that doesn't cut it anymore.  She wants a real answer.

Every family is different so what I'm sharing here is my opinion.  Just that -my opinion,  and what I feel as a mom and a believer I need to share with my kids.

At the root of it Halloween is a pagan holiday.  When you research the origins of this holiday  it gets really gory and evil. So for that reason I choose not to decorate my home.  I don't like the witches and sorcerers etc.  Although Halloween is very different today and many things about it are changed,  but the reason of why there is a Halloween is still the same. 

Today it's such a marketing drive.  The different costumes and the cute ornaments. I must admit the businesses do a great job at marketing this holiday.

I do however allow my children to dress  and go begging for candy - I mean Trick-Or-Treating!!  But that is it.  To decorate my home with Halloween stuff - I will not do it. 

I do remember decorating 1 year when we were in the US. I didn't enjoy the decorations.  After Halloween I threw everything that I had bought and used to decorate away.  I think I ended up decorating because the homes around me were doing it and I bulked under the pressure to conform!!  Even then it felt awkward and wrong because I know better.

So I don't decorate.

But we are excited about the Carnival that's happening this Friday.  Games, Fun and Candy - in a safe environment!

......Kari

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...