2014 Snapshots

Wednesday, October 22

Chocolate Skeleton Cookies

Next Friday is Halloween!   Are you dressing up?  Have your kids decided what they want to be or are they like mine and are still undecided?!  I refuse to buy new costumes, so we are going to be creative and use what we have at home. 

Next Friday is also the St. Andrews Halloween Carnival.  I'm nervous.  I really am. I hope it goes well.  The school is having their mid-term break this week so I'm busy putting together the prize baskets and also trial baking  Halloween cookies.  I say trial because I have to know that the recipes we've chosen to bake and sell are yummy.

So this afternoon my girls and I made these "Chocolate Skeleton Cookies". 

DSC02402

This recipe worked out and were yummy so I think I'll be making them again for the carnival.  Below is the recipe if you are interested.

1 cup butter, softened

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup baking cocoa

1 teaspoon baking soda

1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

2 tablespoons milk

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars.  Beat in egg and vanilla.  In another bowl, combine flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture.  Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until easy to handle.

On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness.  Cut with a 3-in. gingerbread boy cookie cutter.  Place on greased baking sheets.  Bake at 375 degrees for 7-8 minutes or until set.  cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

For icing, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth.  Cut a small hole in the corner of a resealable plastic bag; fill with icing.  Pipe skeleton bones on cookies.  Should make around 3 dozen. 

I think these would be great as Halloween class party treats.

So are you making something special for Halloween?

......Kari

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...