2014 Snapshots

Wednesday, September 24

Celebrate the Differences

bilum

So Renee comes to me the other day and asks me to teach her a dance from Papua New Guinea!! OMG.....  what do I do???

You see ISB Elementary school is having an International Day Assembly and they're asking for students to represent their country in music, dance or drama. 

Hence the request.

So here's the thing,  I know maybe a dance or 2 from PNG my home country, my motuan heritage but they're always done in groups - never solo performances.  Maybe it's  been done but I've not seen it.  And at the ISB Elementary school there is no group of students from Papua New Guinea - Renee is the only one. 

And so there is my problem.

This is not the first time my daughter has requested such a thing when it comes to PNG. Last year for International week she wanted me to prepare a  fish and cook it with bananas and taro and send it with her for her class to enjoy!!

I love Renee's enthusiasm and pride when it comes to Papua New Guinea.  The longest she's lived there is less than a year but she feels so proud of her home country.

I want to do something with her for this assembly, so my PNG wantoks if you have any ideas please help me out. I love Renee's courage and willingness to get up on the stage to perform and to represent so please help me out. 

......Kari

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...