2014 Snapshots

Wednesday, March 12

Take Up Your Cross.....


Ever thought about why you became a Christian? Why did you say yes to Jesus?
At the time you said yes, was it because you were going through a tough time in your life that you thought maybe if I say yes to Jesus things will get easier and I will receive all the good things that God promises. Or did you say yes to Jesus simply because of who He is and that there was a deep desire to get to know Him better?

The above thought is something that I have been thinking about in the last couple of days after church on Sunday. My Pastor asked this question and I have had a couple of days to think about it and answer.

When I became a Christian I think I naively and selfishly said yes because of what I had heard that Jesus could do, all those wonderful things promised to a believer. Thankfully I have matured and I have come to a place in my life where I stand in awe of God and say yes to Him because of who He is. I want to know Him better, know Him more.

Because of my yes to Jesus, here then is the next challenge - if I said yes to Christ am I willing to take up my cross and take up His mission - to be a true disciple. Not just enjoying his grace, but really doing what is expected of me as a Christian.

In all simplicity if I may say so being a Christian - a Christ follower is to do everthing that he did. Sometimes I think I complicate things for myself when at the end of the day all God wants me to do is to minister to someone. Show them Christ and offer them the opportunity to say yes to Jesus.

I'm challenged many times to reflect on why I am a christian. Why did God open my eyes and graciously show me His gift of salvation?

As a Christian what is my purpose, what is my calling? When Christ called his disciples they got up and followed him, took up Christ's mission & purpose and made it their own.

Is that not what I am suppose to do? Am I willing to make that sacrifice, take up my cross and continue in his journey. To shine for Jesus and direct others to Him.

As Easter approaches this is a good time to reflect on why I call myself a Christian and what does God really want me to do for Him.

And anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
Mathew 10:38.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...